Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Adapted from Vegetarian Times 2005 Grilled sweet potatoes require close attention – but the results are worth it. Slice them too thick, and they won’t cook through; slice them too thin, and they will char quickly. Slice carefully and keep an eye on the grill.
cilantro lime vinaigrette
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced 3/8 inch thick
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 scallions, white and green parts sliced
- 3 tablespoons orange juice or 3 tablespoons mango juice or 3 tablespoons pineapple juice
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- Prepare medium-low charcoal grill or preheat a gas grill.
- For the vinaigrette: combine lime zest, juice, and vinegar in a large bowl.
- Whisk in oil until completely blended.
- Stir in cilantro, garlic and salt.
- To make sweet potatoes: add potato slices to vinaigrette, and let marinate for 5 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the potato slices to the grill.
- Turn occasionally, basting with remaining vinaigrette and cook until tender when pierced with a fork – about 10-15 minutes.
- Return grilled potatoes to vinaigrette.
- Add red pepper, scallions, juice, salt and pepper; toss gently and serve.
This is a great way to serve sweet potatoes. We had them last night with "Thai Grilled Chicken Thighs". Fabulous! Great flavors and that simple vinaigrette - super! Had no cilantro left (it all went into the Thai grilled chicken marinade), so I used basil instead. Lovely! This will be a keeper!
LOVED THIS SALAD! Made this on my neighbor's grill, using yams rather than sweet potatoes, but otherwise stuck to your recipe! Wonderful blending of flavors, & I particularly enjoyed the makeup of the vinaigrette! Thanks much for posting such a recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's PAC]