My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 12 soft shelled crabs, cleaned
- 6 slices white bread
- 6 lettuce leaves (Boston or Bibb lettuce)
- 1 ripe tomato, thinly sliced
Old Bay Tartar Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 -2 pickled jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- 1 tablespoon chopped pickle (preferably cornichons)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon basil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1Make the sauce: add mayonnaise, peppers, capers, pickles, lemon juice, chives, tarragon, mustard, and Old Bay seasoning to a bowl; whisk to mix.
- 2Season to taste with black pepper; sauce can be refrigerated, covered, for at least 1 week; bring to room temperature before serving.
- 3The crabs: melt the butter in a small saucepan over med-high heat.
- 4Add in garlic, shallot, and Old Bay seasoning; cook until the garlic and shallot have lost their rawness, about 2 minutes; they should be soft and translucent; do not let them brown; set flavored butter aside.
- 5Set up grill for direct grilling; preheat to high.
- 6When ready to cook brush and oil the grill grate; brush the crabs on both sides with some of the flavored butter.
- 7Place the crabs on the hot grate and grill until cooked through, about 2-4 minutes per side, basting with some of the flavored butter.
- 8When done, the shells will turn bright red.
- 9Brush the bread slices with the remaining flavored butter and grill them as well, about 1 minute per side.
- 10To serve: slather the toast with some of the Old Bay Tartar Sauce; place a lettuce leaf, a few tomato slices, and 2 soft-shell crabs on top.
- 11Serve with the remaining tartar sauce on the side.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Soft-Shell Crabs With Old Bay Tartar Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (156 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 474.7
- Calories from Fat 338
- Total Fat 37.6 g
- Saturated Fat 16.8 g
- Cholesterol 104.0 mg
- Sodium 734.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 10.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Old Bay Seasoning
Old Bay Seasoning