A delicious salad, made with garden fresh ingredients, from a Williams Sonoma recipe.
Make and share this Grilled Red Pepper, Sweet Onion, and Tomato Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 sweet white onions, cut into rounds 3/4 inches thick (e.g., maui, vidalia, walla walla)
- 4 large tomatoes (approximately 2 lb total)
- olive oil, for coating
- 1 bunch fresh basil, stemmed, coarsely chopped if desired
For garlic-balsamic vinaigrette
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Prepare charcoal or gas grill for direct grilling over high heat, or preheat indoor electric grill. Oil the grill rack.
- Put bell peppers, onion rounds, and tomatoes in a bowl and coat them with oil.
- Grill peppers directly over high heat, turning to char and blister them on all sides, 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer to a paper bag, close the bag, and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grill onion rounds, turning once, until grill marked and partly tender, 2-3 mins per side. Transfer to a cutting board.
- Grill tomatoes, turning often, until grill marked, 3-4 minutes. Dont overcook. Transfer to a cutting board.
- Peel peppers and cut open to remove seeds and stems. Chop peppers coarsely and mound on a platter. Coarsely chop onions; then core and chop the tomatoes and add them to the platter.
- Scatter basil leaves on top of the vegetables.
- To make vinaigrette, combine garlic and vinegar in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in olive oil. Pour dressing over vegetables and toss well.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
This is a delightful salad! The portions are generous - I have leftovers to enjoy tomorrow. Grilling of the onions really brought out their sweetness. The balsamic vinaigrette went wonderfully with the veggies. This will be a new favorite side for grilling season! Thanks for sharing - Veggie Swap 58