Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
These mushrooms are quite impressive with steak. I took ideas from a couple of sources and came up with these
- 4 portabella mushrooms
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 -2 garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, use only freshly grated
- salt and pepper
- paprika (optional)
- cilantro (optional) or parsley (optional)
- 3 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs (optional)
- Seperate stems from mushrooms, set caps aside. Coarsely chop stems. In a skillet melt butter. Add chopped stems, onion and garlic.
- Cook over medium heat until softened. Stir in balsamic vinegar. Let cool slightly. Add parmesan cheese and panko breadcrumbs, if using. Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Baste mushroom caps lightly with olive oil and place 1/4 mixture on each mushroom and sprinkle with paprika, cilantro or parsley. (mixture can be done ahead of time).
- Heat the barbecue. Add mushrooms and cook until tender, 10 - 15 minutes. Let them cool slightly before serving (they retain the heat).