Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 mins
Fix this with your barbecued meat and you have a great meal, straight from the grill. This goes great with Grilled Mediterranean Cornish Hens. From Woman's Day magazine, 1999.
Red Wine Vinaigrette(or 1/4 cup bottled redwine vinaigrette)
- 59.14 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 44.37 ml red wine or 44.37 ml balsamic vinegar
- 29.58 ml lemons or 29.58 ml lime juice
- 2.46 ml oregano
- 2 clove garlic
- 9.85 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh mint leaves or 9.85 ml dried mint
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes, cut in chunks
- 1 large unwaxed cucumber, cut in chunks
- 118.29 ml thinly sliced red onion
- 3 pita breads
- feta cheese (optional)
- Mix bottled red wine vinaigrette in a bowl or make your own dressing: Whisk oil, vinegar, lemon juice, oregano, cloves, sugar, salt and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Stir in tomatoes, cucumber and onion.
- Grill pitas 4 to 6 inches from heat source 2 to 4 minutes, turning once, until lightly toasted.
- Let cool slightly; tear in bite-size pieces into salad.
- Toss salad and sprinkle feta cheese over all, if using.
- Serve and enjoy!
I really enjoyed the fresh mint in this dish - it went surprisingly well with the tomatoes and onions! I threw this together for lunch today for just myself and was quite happy to have the warm pita bread on this chilly day. I served my pita on the side as I thought it was get too soggy and fall apart if I put it into the salad. Made for ZWT4
I love this salad! i used balsamic vinegar, yum! Also, fresh mint from my garden. great recipe!
Wonderful salad. I used the balsamic vinegar and lime juice for the dressing. Unfortunately, I did not have the feta cheese. Even though it was wonderful without, I am sure it would be even better with the cheese. Definately a keeper!