Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 mins
Fix this with your barbecued meat and you have a great meal, straight from the grill. This goes great with Grilled Mediterranean Cornish Hens. From Woman's Day magazine, 1999.
Red Wine Vinaigrette(or 1/4 cup bottled redwine vinaigrette)
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine or 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemons or 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves or 2 teaspoons dried mint
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes, cut in chunks
- 1 large unwaxed cucumber, cut in chunks
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 3 pita breads
- feta cheese (optional)
- Mix bottled red wine vinaigrette in a bowl or make your own dressing: Whisk oil, vinegar, lemon juice, oregano, cloves, sugar, salt and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Stir in tomatoes, cucumber and onion.
- Grill pitas 4 to 6 inches from heat source 2 to 4 minutes, turning once, until lightly toasted.
- Let cool slightly; tear in bite-size pieces into salad.
- Toss salad and sprinkle feta cheese over all, if using.
- Serve and enjoy!
I really enjoyed the fresh mint in this dish - it went surprisingly well with the tomatoes and onions! I threw this together for lunch today for just myself and was quite happy to have the warm pita bread on this chilly day. I served my pita on the side as I thought it was get too soggy and fall apart if I put it into the salad. Made for ZWT4
I love this salad! i used balsamic vinegar, yum! Also, fresh mint from my garden. great recipe!
Wonderful salad. I used the balsamic vinegar and lime juice for the dressing. Unfortunately, I did not have the feta cheese. Even though it was wonderful without, I am sure it would be even better with the cheese. Definately a keeper!