Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
BH&G, June 2007, p. 276. If I tell my wife that it has peaches in it, she may not eat it. So, when I do make this, it'll be for an event. That way, I can ensure that someone will eat it...other than myself, of course.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs peaches, peeled, halved and pitted
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup snipped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 (15 ounce) packagerolled refrigerated unbaked pie crusts
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- For charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals on one side of the grill. Test for medium heat above empty side. Brush peach halves with oil. Place halves, cut sides down, on rack directly over coals for 3 minutes. Remove. Cut peach halves in wedges. In mixing bowl toss with the 1/2 cup sugar, basil, cornstarch and lemon juice.
- On floured surface, roll each crust to 12-inch diameter. Coat 9 1/2-to 10-inch cast-iron skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Line skillet with one crust; dough should come 3/4 up sides of pan. Place peach mixture into pie crust in skillet. With a knife, cut several slits in center of second crust to vent steam. Place second crust over peaches. Tuck any extra dough at edges between side of skillet and bottom crust. Crimp edge. Brush top of pie with beaten egg then sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Place skillet on rack over empty side of grill. Cover and grill 1 1/2 hours until crust is golden, rotating once halfway through grilling. (For gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking. Grill as directed above.) Cool on rack before slicing.
GREAT Pie. I love grilling to begin with, and finding a recipe for grilled pie, forget about it. My wife was a little confused about the basil, but it added a wonderful roundness/herbness to the peaches. I would reccomend this pie. You'll be the hit of the bbq when they smell this cooking, on the grill. Thanks
I used fresh Italian lemon basil, chopped and put it in the lemon juice for a little while, then added the balance of the fillimg ingredients. I grew the lemon basil, my first time in growing it and I love the taste with this pie! Great Recipe! Thanks for posting!