Recipe by COOKGIRl
Found this recipe printed in a flyer at the market and I had fun with it adding things here and there. I give a list of suggestions for which vegetables to use as well as two different condiment spreads.
- 1 loaf fresh panini bread, sliced
- 4 ounces swiss cheese or 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, slices
- 3 sprigs of fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley or 3 sprigs fresh lovage
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 small eggplant
- 1 medium red bell peppers or 1 medium yellow bell peppers or 1 medium orange bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sliced red onion
- 1 small summer squash
- 2 portabella mushrooms, stems removed
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf, stems removed and chopped finely (NOT dried basil)
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt or 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon greek dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh Greek oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced and roasted if desired
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed fennel seed
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut 8 slices of the panini bread.
- Prepare the marinade. Set aside.
- In small bowl prepare the basil dressing or Dijon mustard and mix well. The condiments can be made several hours in advance.
- Slice the vegetables into uniform sizes.
- Marinate the veggies in a shallow pan for an hour. Drain off the marinade and then grill the vegetables on each side for about 4-5 minutes, until tender yet crisp.
- Spread one side of each sandwich slice with your choice of spread. Add the vegetables, next place 1 ounce of cheese and the parsley or lovage. Butter lightly the top and bottom of sandwich. Press down carefully on the sandwich and toast on grilll. Cut in half and serve.