Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
I like to sprinkle cheddar cheese in between the potato slices after baking but that is optional, you may use only 1 slice of onion if desired, use only russet baker potatoes for this
- 5 medium russet potatoes (peel left on or removed)
- 10 -20 slices onions (use thinly sliced onions, 1-2 slices between each potato slice)
- seasoning salt (to taste, can use white salt)
- black pepper
- garlic powder (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) bottlezesty Italian salad dressing
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional and to taste)
- 10 pieces heavy-duty aluminum foil (12-inch square)
- Slice each potato into five slices (do not slice all the way to the bottom).
- Place 1 or 2 onion slices between each potato slice, then sprinkle with seasoned salt and black pepper in between the slices.
- Place each potato onto a double layer of heavy-duty foil.
- Pour about 3-4 tablespoons of the salad dressing over each potato.
- Wrap the foil around each potato and seal tightly.
- Punch just a very tiny pin-hole in the top of the foil to allow steam to escape.
- Grill over medium heat for about 50-60 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- At the end of cooking you may sprinkle cheese in between the slices but that is optional.
These potatoes were absolutely delicious. I baked them in the oven a little over an hour and they were perfect. The onion flavor in the potatoes was just great.