Prep 2 hrs 9 mins
Cook 30 mins
I thought this was an interesting summer grilling recipe. Prep time includes 2 hour marinating time. Recipe source: Sunset Magazine (June 2005)
- 1 cup soy sauce (low-sodium will work well)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 3⁄4 cup onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sake
- 1⁄2 cup mirin (or 1/2 cup sake and 1 teaspoon sugar)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 beef tri-tip steak, trimmed of excess fat (1 1/2 pounds)
- In a marinating dish or large zip lock bag pour in marinating ingredients (soy sauce - mustard), stir or shake bag until sugar is dissolved. Add beef, covering all sides. Chill at least 2 hours, but may be marinated up to one day, turning occassionally.
- Drain beef, discarding marinade.
- Prepare grill using a solid bed of coals - about medium heat.
- Grill beef, turning every 5 minutes until done to desired doneness (about 30 minues for med rare).
- Transfer to platter or cutting board and let rest 5 minutes before slicing beef into thin slanting slices, cutting across grain.
Interesting and delicious! Everybody at the campground loved it. Thanks for sharing.
Delicious!! This teriyaki-type marinade gave the tri-tip a wonderful flavor. I used a 3-lb. tri-tip and there was plenty of marinade without having to double the recipe. Also, I ended up marinating the meat for about 30 hours. My family really loved this and gave it 2-thumbs up. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe...it is definitely a keeper!