Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
incredible grilled marinated pork/beef recipe, serve over bed of rice noodles & salad. Garnish: Thai basil, mint, jalapenos, green onions or coriander sprigs, peanut sauce, nuoc cham, cucumber salad, etc. See Nuoc Cham & thai peanut sauce recipes listed.
- 2 stalk fresh lemongrass, outer leaves discarded and root end trimmed
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 29.58 ml asian fish sauce (preferably nuoc mam)
- 14.79 ml soy sauce
- 19.71 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 2.46 ml sesame oil
- 6 torn basil leaves (approximate)
- 1-2 stalk green onion
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh ginger, to taste (approximate)
- pork (etc) or steak (etc)
- 226.79 g dried rice sticks (rice vermicelli)
- 118.29 ml fresh basil leaf, washed well and spun dry (preferably Thai basil)
- 118.29 ml fresh mint leaves, washed well and spun dry
- 118.29 ml fresh coriander leaves, washed well and spun dry
- 29.58 ml toasted rice powder (usually do not use)
- 2-4 small Asian chili peppers (1 to 2 inches long) or 2-4 small serrano chilies, seeded and sliced very thin (wear rubber gloves)
- Make marinade:.
- Thinly slice lower 6 inches of lemongrass stalks, discarding remainder of stalks. finely chop lemongrass and garlic. Add remaining marinade ingredients and mix well.
- In a large resealable plastic bag combine marinade and meat and seal bag, pressing out excess air. Marinate overnight or at least 4 hours.
- In a large bowl soak noodles in hot water to cover 15 minutes, or until softened and pliable.
- Prepare grill (or preheat broiler). Bring a kettle of salted water to a boil for noodles.
- Discard marinade (I used it to cook sugar peas in as a side dish) and grill meat on an oiled rack set 5 to 6 inches over glowing coals 3 to 5 minutes on each side for medium-rare (for steak, I cooked the pork for about 10 min on bbq on med-high.
- Or put on skewers with veggies of choice (I used onions, yellow bell peppers and mushrooms).
- While steak is cooking, drain noodles in a colander and cook in boiling water 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until just tender.
- In a colander drain noodles and rinse under cold water to stop cooking. Drain noodles well.
- In a large bowl toss noodles with herbs and half of nuoc cham.
- Divide cucumber among 4 bowls or plates and top with noodles.
- Sprinkle each serving with 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons rice powder (toast rice grains on med until light brown and grind).
- Thinly slice meat on the diagonal and divide among noodles, mounding it. Sprinkle chilies over each serving and garnish with herb sprigs. Serve remaining nuoc cham on the side. add cucumbers, sugar peas, etc.