Prep 25 mins
Cook 7 mins
This may be made on an outdoor or indoor grill or a grill pan ---kosher salami may be used in place of the kielbasa, all amounts may be adjusted to taste,
- 1 lb whole smoked kielbasa
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons bottled horseradish, drained
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons honey
- 1 pinch garlic powder (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 head boston lettuce, torn into small pieces
- 2 firm ripe plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 4 crusty French rolls (about 6 inches long)
- Set grill to medium heat.
- In a blender or food processor blend the olive oil with the next 7 ingredients until emulsified; toss the lettuce leaves with about HALF of the vinaigrette and reserve the remainder to brush on the buns.
- Grill tops and bottoms of the buns on a lightly oiled grill rack (about 2 minutes per side; transfer cut-sides up to a platter or plate.
- Brush the cut sides of the top halves with remaining vinaigrette.
- On the bottom halves divide/mound the coated lettuce leaves.
- Cut the kielbasa sausage crosswise into 4 long sections, then half each section lenghwise (you may trim off the outside skin before grilling if desired).
- Grill the sausage slices on a lightly oiled grill rack about 3-4 minutes turning over once during cooking.
- Arrange 2 pieces of grilled sausage over the lettuce (2 pieces per sandwich) then top with sliced tomatoes (season the tomatoes with salt and pepper).
- Cover with top half of the rolls.
If it was cooked by way of abbreviation, such as with a George Foreman Grill, does that still count as being genuinely grilled? The sauce was fab...nothin' left.
Loved the dressing! I used a mix of kielbasa sausages and conecuh smoked sausages. I liked the hotter taste of the conecuh sausages, DS liked the kielbasa better. These were great sandwiches to make tonight for me. Had to work late, and these came together in an instant. The dressing is so wonderful...with the sausages, the mustard is perfect...over lettuce alone, the mustard is a bit strong. Either way, the dressing is great! Thanks for posting a really yummy recipe. Made for Newest Zaar Tag.