Prep 20 mins
Cook 14 mins
This tantalizing burger recipe combines ground beef with turkey to lighten the fat load and with fresh herbs and Parmesan cheese it delicious.
- 59.14 ml egg white (or 1 whole egg lightly beaten)
- 158.51 ml chopped onion
- 118.29 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 59.14 ml snipped fresh oregano and basil (or 2 teaspoons dried oregano and or or basil, crushed)
- 59.14 ml tomato sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2.46 ml salt
- 3.69 ml ground black pepper
- 453.59 g lean ground beef
- 453.59 g uncooked ground turkey
- 8 kaiser rolls, split (or your favorite buns)
- Dijon mustard, to taste for spreading on the rolls
- 16 slice tomatoes
- fresh oregano (and or or basil sprigs for garnish) (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine egg white, onion, Parmesan cheese, the snipped fresh or the dried oregano and/or basil, the tomato sauce, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Add ground beef and ground turkey, mix well.
- Shape mixture into eight 3/4-inch-thick patties.
- FOR CHARCOAL GRILL: place patties on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals.
- Grill for 14 to 18 minutes or until no longer pink (165°F), turning once halfway through grilling.
- Toast the rolls on the grill.
- FOR GAS GRILL:
- Heat to medium.
- Place patties, then
- rolls on grill rack over heat.
- Cover and grill as above.
- Serve burgers on toasted rolls with tomato slices and, if desired, additional fresh oregano and/or basil sprigs.
We really liked these burgers, especially me! They were a little too healthy for my one son though. ;) I used spaghetti sauce for the tomato sauce and chose fresh basil. I had mine on a multigrain skinny bun and used the dijon, tomato and some lettuce. Made for Went to the Market tag game. Thanks Annacia! :)
Doubled the recipe which worked out great! I added a few of our other favorite Hamburger seasonings in along with the herbs (a drizzle of Worcestershire sauce, Magic Seasoning) and used a whole can of Tomato Sauce instead of the 2/3 of a can doubling the recipe uses. We all thought they were delicious, and the best part? Ground Turkey was on sale so it didn't cost us any extra to cut out some of the hamburger!
Wow! These burgers have wonderful flavor! Made as directed (dried seasonings) but pan fried them as the weather did not permit outdoor grilling. Awesome recipe, thanks for sharing! :)