Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Since I am calorie counting, I took one of my family's favorite recipes and modified it to bring down the calories. If you cannot find rice wine, you can substitute Sherry, Madeira or Marsala.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons szechwan chili sauce
- 2 1⁄3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons rice wine
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar substitute (like Splenda)
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs (optional)
- Grill the chicken breasts until they are fully cooked.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, prepare the sauce mixture by combining the 1 Tablespoon of cornstarch with the wine, vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, chili sauce, and broth.
- Heat the sesame oil in the wok or frying pan and add the sauce-mixture to the wok, tossing over the heat until the sauce caramelizes into a glaze (1-2 minutes).
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces, add it to the sauce and toss to coat.
- If you like the crunch often found in traditional General Tso's; sprinkle the Panko over top right before serving.
- Serve immediately.
- Serves 6, along with steamed broccoli and rice. We have doubled the sauce and added the cooked broccoli and that works great too!
Wow! Very easy, and very tasty. Only used 1/2 the chili sauce, and still had plenty of flavor. Also used ordinary sugar and sherry. This will be a regular weeknight favorite in our house. Updated to add: Used this sauce on some leftover grilled chicken - terrific way to "recycle". Thanks for sharing!
I've often wondered what General Tso chicken would be like with grilled chicken. I appreciate you posted this one to try! This was so much easier than the regular way, which made it perfect for a weeknight meal. The whole family enjoyed. Thanks for posting! Roxygirl
This was THE BOMB!!! Absolutely loved by every family member- and that is very hard to accomplish. I used cooking sherry for the wine, real sugar, and plain chili sauce. Wonderful!! Made for Unrated Asian Tag game.