Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Grilled Eggplant with Garlic-Cumin Vinaigrette, Feta & Herbs
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 small shallot, very finely diced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed, lightly toasted and ground
- kosher salt
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 large globe eggplant, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds (about 1 pound)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, more as needed
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled feta
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped of fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- Make the vinaigrette:.
- With a mortar and pestle, pound the garlic and a pinch of salt to a paste.
- Combine the garlic paste and 1 tbs of the lemon juice in a bowl and let sit for 10 minute.
- Combine the shallot with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice and a pinch of salt in another small bowl and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Whisk the olive oil, cumin, and cayenne into the garlic mixture. Season to taste with salt or cayenne, if necessary.
- Grill the eggplant:.
- Prepare a medium-high charcoal or gas grill fire.
- Brush both sides of the eggplant slices with olive oil and season with salt.
- Grill (covered on a gas grill; uncovered on a charcoal grill), 3 to 4 minutes.
- Turn the eggplant and grill until tender and well marked on the second sides, 3 to 4 minutes more.The interior should be grayish and soft rather than white and hard.
- Top grilled eggplant slices with the shallots, feta, and herbs. Whisk the vinaigrette and drizzle it on top. Serve immediately.