1/2 Photos of Grilled Curry Chicken Legs
Grilled curry chicken legs Recipe from Penzeys Spices. The Cilantro does have to be fresh for this recipe to make the paste. Buy the big package of legs; they’ll be gone in a minute. If you are lucky enough to have leftovers, these legs are great cold, too. The amount of CURRY POWDER called for will end up spicy-tasting, but not overly hot, which is a good middle of the road when feeding a crowd.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash the chicken legs and remove the skin. The easiest way to do this is to peel the skin down and over the end of the bone. Use a sharp knife to cut the skin, leaving a little piece clinging to the end, which will be nice and crispy when grilled, and will help satisfy the skin lovers. The meat should be pretty much skinless for this recipe, or the tenderizing marinade won’t be able to do its job.
- 2Place the legs in a single layer in a baking dish.
- 3To prepare the marinade, place the yogurt, Cilantro (ripped up a bit), chopped onion, SWEET and HOT CURRY POWDER, GARAM MASALA and GARLIC in a blender or food processor, blend until smooth.
- 4Pour evenly over the legs, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least one hour; two is better, overnight is wonderful.
- 5To grill the chicken, light a medium amount of coals. When ashy (15 minutes or so) divide the coals in half and line both sides of the grill along the edges with the coals, leaving the middle coal-free.
- 6Before putting the grill top over the coals, spray the grill top well with nonstick cooking spray, or rub with vegetable oil, as the chicken legs have been known to be a bit on the sticky side, which is why it is best to turn them carefully with a spatula.
- 7Remove the legs from the marinade pan, sprinkle both sides with salt, and carefully place in a row down the center of the grill. Alternating the legs, meat side, bone side, etc. (just like they were in the package), will allow you to get more on the grill.
- 8Cover the grill, cook 15 minutes. Carefully turn the legs by sliding a spatula under them, and cook 15 minutes more.
- 9Some of the legs may lose the coating on the first side no matter how careful you are, but if you turn them and replace them right on top of the bits that stuck to the grill, the second side will be fine, and that can be the “presentation” side.
- 10After 30 minutes total cooking time, remove the legs to a platter.
- 11Serve with Saffron Rice, or a summery pasta or potato salad.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Curry Chicken Legs
Serving Size: 1 (1635 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 134.3
- Calories from Fat 76
- Total Fat 8.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 57.3 mg
- Sodium 115.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 12.6 g