Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A great mini sandwhich as an appetizer.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄8 cup jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) box cornbread mix
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney, pureed
- 5 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a 9- by 12-inch pan with parchment paper, butter the paper, and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat, add the onions and pepper, and cook until softened.
- Place the buttermilk, egg, sour cream, and pepper in a large bowl and whisk.
- Add the corn-bread mix and stir until combined.
- Stir in the onion mixture.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 12 minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Lift the parchment to release the corn bread from the pan and use a cookie cutter to cut 20 rounds from the bread.
- Spread 1/2 teaspoon of chutney on 10 rounds.
- Evenly divide the cheese among the 10 rounds and top each with a remaining corn-bread round. Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat and lightly brush each sandwich with olive oil.
- Place the sandwiches in the skillet, 5 at a time, and grill until the cheese melts and the bread is golden.
- Serve immediately.
A huge hit, Cornbread can be made day before. My guests loved it.