Recipe by lazyme
Posted for ZWT. From Best of Gourmet 1998. Times to do include time to marinate the chicken.
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 3 whole cloves
- 1⁄4 cup whole-milk yogurt, plain
- 2 tablespoons whole milk yogurt
- 3 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh gingerroot, peeled, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 252 inches bamboo skewers
- zucchini raita
- lime wedge
Directions See How It's Made
- In an electric coffee/spice grinder finely grind cumin seeds and cloves.
- In a blender blend ground spices with remaining marinade ingredients until smooth.
- MARINATE CHICKEN:
- Cut chicken breasts crosswise into 1/4-inch thick strips and in a large sealable plastic bag combine with marinade.
- Seal bag, pressing out excess air, and turn bag several times to coat chicken well.
- Marinate chicken at least 1 day and up to 2.
- White chicken is marinating, soak skewers in water at least 1 hour.
- Prepare grill (or preheat oven to its highest temperature, 500 to 550 degrees F.).
- Oil grill rack (or lightly oil a shallow roasting pan large enough to hold the skewers in one layer.).
- Remove skewers from water and pat dry.
- Thread 1 piece chicken lengthwise onto each skewer and grill on an oiled rack set 5 to 6 inches over glowing coals, turning over once, until just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- (Alternatively, in a lightly oiled shallow roasting pan arrange skewers in one layer and roast in middle of oven.).
- SERVE skewers with raita and lime wedges if desired.