Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is from the local paper. I've tried chimichurri sauce once and like it, so I want to try this one. The paper suggests to make the breasts all uniform size for even cooking: pound between sheets of waxed paper with a rolling pin, meat pounder or bottom of a heavy pot. Prep. time does not include marinading time.
- 10 medium garlic cloves, peeled and dark ends removed
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, stems removed
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil, plus
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (divided)
- 1⁄4 cup water or 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup white balsamic vinegar or 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed hot pepper flakes (to taste)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 whole boneless chicken breasts, halved and flattened
- To make chimichurri sauce: In food processor fitted with metal blade, puree garlic.
- Add parsley and process until finely chopped.
- Add 3/4 cup oil, vinegar, water or chicken broth, and seasonings, and process.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary. It should be very flavorful and spicy.
- For marinade: In small mixing bowl, combine 3 tablespoons of the chimichurri sauce, with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and mix until smooth; taste for seasoning.
- Place chicken breasts in a sealable bag and pour in marinade, making sure marinade is evenly distributed.
- Zip bag and refrigerate 1/2 hour to 4 hours.
- Prepare barbecue for medium-heat grilling.
- Remove chicken from marinade and grill about 3 inches from flame, 7 to 10 minutes on each side or until no pink color is showing.
- Place on platter and serve with sauce on the side.
- Advance prep. tip: The sauce can be made up to 6 days ahead, covered and refrigerated. Remove from fridge half an hour before serving.
We loved this dish! It has a strong flavor that is simply delicious! I didn't include the hot pepper flakes. It turned out great! A definate addition to my recipe box.
A good marinade for chicken. I only used 2 TBSP of the oil. I think the serving size should be changed -- 3 chicken breasts usually feeds 3 people, not 6. Despite that, this had a nice flavor and spice.