Recipe by Ailsa of New Zealand
Just a nice way to cook chicken.
Top Review by ChefLara
I used two teaspoons of anise that I ground in my "spice" coffee grinder because I didn't have star anise. I also heated up the marinade in the microwave to allow the spices to blend. I put the cut up chicken in and marinaded for 4 hours in the refrigerator. My son and husband both thought it was great!!!
- 100 ml light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon clear honey
- 5 cm piece fresh ginger, Peeled and grated
- 1 medium onion, Peeled and grated
- 2 garlic cloves, Peeled and crushed
- 1 star anise, crushed
- 1 chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the soy sauce and dry mustard powder together in a china or glass container to form a marinade. Add the honey, ginger, onion, garlic and star anise to the soy sauce mixture and leave to stand for at least 8 hours.
- When complate, coat the chicken with the mariande and leave for at least 1 hour, turning occasionally and basting.
- When ready to cook, sprinkle salt and pepper to taste over the chicken and grill or barbeque for 5-6 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, put the rest of the marinade in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Turn the chicken over and cook for a further 5-6 minutes, basting with the marinade occasionally during the cooking.
- Note: Makes an excellent all-round low-fat marinade for lamb, pork and fish steaks.