Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This sandwich is the perfect summer sandwich. It is fresh, light and it's grilled...what else could you ask for on a hot summer evening? These can also be made on the stovetop or a panini press.
- 8 slices Italian bread, sliced 3/4-inch thick
- 8 slices fresh whole milk mozzarella cheese
- 2 roma tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- On four slices of bread layer the mozzerella cheese and tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with basil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Top with remaining slices of bread.
- In a small bowl combine oil, parmesan cheese and garlic powder.
- Brush over both sides of each sandwich and either place on a grill over medium heat, or cook in a skillet until golden brown.
Yummay! I had homemade pesto so I put that on instead of the basil. Other than that I followed the recipe. Grilling gave it a great flavor! This is a keeper for sure.
Ahhhh, this is heaven. I made these for lunch. PERFECT! Great fresh flavors and it couldn't be any easier. Brushing the sandwiches with the olive oil, cheese and garlic powder really puts this sandwich ovr the top!!! Way to go, GotBoxer!!!!
This was a home run! I omitted the vinegar and parmesan, and used pesto rather than fresh basil (as suggested by Chef #1556087). I used an idea for grilled cheese from Jacques Pepin and baked these at 400 degrees - flipping them after 10-12 minutes - much easier than grilling especially for a crowd and the bread comes out with a lot more crunch. Wonderful!