Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
These are great for summertime grilling. Cooking and prep time includes time for marinading.
- 5 lbs shoulder london broil beef, 3/4-inch thick (or Western griller)
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups lime juice
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 cup yellow onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 2 yellow bell peppers, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1⁄2 red onion, sliced
- 16 corn tortillas or 16 flour tortillas, 6 inches in diameter
- cheese, for topping (optional)
- sour cream, for topping (optional)
- guacamole, for topping (optional)
- salsa, for topping (optional)
- Trim the meat to remove any visible fat.
- In medium bowl, combine the salt, pepper, lime juice, garlic and minced onion.
- Transfer to a baking dish.
- Add the beef, cover and refrigerate.
- Marinate for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours.
- When ready to cook, preheat a gas grill to high.
- If you are using a charcoal grill, build a fire and let it burn down until the coals are glowing red with a light coating of white ash.
- Spread the coals evenly.
- Clean the cooking grate.
- Grill the steaks for 7-8 minutes per side for medium doneness.
- Remove the steaks from the grill and allow them to cool about 5 minutes.
- Cut the steaks into 1/4-inch thick strips, being sure to cut across the grain, and on a slight bias.
- Set aside.
- In large saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Saute the peppers and onions for 5-7 minutes, or until they just begin to soften.
- Add the steak and cook until just heated through, about another 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grill or toast the tortillas until softened and warm, about 20 seconds per side.
- Serve the steak mixture with the tortillas and a variety of toppings such as cheese, sour cream, guacamole or salsa.