Recipe by gailanng
This complete side is made directly on the grill. Prep everything and let the cook/griller do the rest. Pretty and a wowzer. It will become the centerpiece of your meal. Recipe by Jamie Purviance. (Don't feel like making the vinaigrette, use a good-quality bottled brand.)
Top Review by **Jubes**
Reviewed for Dec 2011 Recipe Swap in the Aus/NZ Forum. Great salad that I really enjoyed...just so sorry that I couldn't get a photo this time. I used rice wine and gluten-free bread, but otherwise kept to the recipe. A very nice salad. Thanks for another great recipe GailAnn :D
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar (can sub rice vinegar or white wine vinegar)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs asparagus
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 3 slices country-style white bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or 2 tablespoons green onions
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F) and preheat the grill pan.
- In a small bowl whisk together the mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper. Slowly add in the oil, whisking constantly until it is emulsified.
- Remove and discard the tough bottom of each asparagus spear by grasping at each end and bending it gently until it snaps at its natural point of tenderness, usually about two-thirds of the way down the spear.
- Spread the asparagus on a large plate. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette and turn the spears until they are evenly coated. (I lightly salt the asparagus at this point.) In a medium bowl toss the tomatoes and bread cubes with 2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette.
- Brush the cooking grates clean. Spread the tomatoes and bread cubes in a single layer on the grill pan and lay the asparagus on the cooking grate. Grill over direct medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until the asparagus is tender, the tomatoes begin to soften, and the bread cubes are toasted, turning often. The asparagus will take 6 to 8 minutes and the tomatoes and bread cubes will take 2 to 4 minutes.
- Arrange the asparagus on a platter and top with the tomatoes, croutons, feta, and chives. Serve with the remaining vinaigrette.