Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
The chicken is lightly coated in the prepared tangy sauce grilled and then placed back in the skillet to coat and cook in the sauce, this recipe also works well with pork chops although you will need to adjust cooking time, this is not a sweet sauce, if you prefer sweeter then increase the brown sugar to taste, I also add in 1 teaspoon liquid smoke to the sauce but that is optional, the sauce made up to a day in advance if desired, cooking time is for chicken only, I most always double this recipe, I have also listed the double amounts after the ingredients, if you are doubling keep the onion at one and use no more than 2 tablespoons fresh garlic.
- 3 -4 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 10 tablespoons ketchup (double use 1-1/4 cup)
- 6 tablespoons honey (double use 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar (double use 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar (double use 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (double use 1/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard (double use 2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika (double use 1 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated black pepper (or use 1/4 teaspoon fine black pepper, or to taste)
- 1 pinch cayenne (optional or to taste)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and black pepper
- Heat oil in a large skillet (or a medium saucepan) over medium heat.
- Add in onion and saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add in garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in ketchup, honey, brown sugar, cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, seasoned salt, paprika and black pepper; bring to a simmer over medium heat, then reduce to low and simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes.
- Season with salt to taste, and cayenne (if using).
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Dip the chicken into the sauce and turn to coat.
- Season the chicken with salt and black pepper if desired then place on the grill for about 10-15 minutes, turning once during cooking.
- Transfer the chicken to the skillet and simmer in sauce over medium heat for 5-6 minutes on each side.
Wonderful recipe. This is a different way to prepare chicken, with outstanding results. I think there was a good amount of sauce with the regular recipe, but, I will double the recipe next time because it is sooooo good. Thanks for the recipe Kitten.
I made this tonight - oooh it is so good.... I would NOT let them toss out the leftover sauce....
YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY,I believe this is the best way i have ever had a barbecue glaze chicken. I would reccommend this to anyone that want a recipe for chicken. The glaze was sweet and good. i put the pinch of cayenne in couldn't ever taste it. I might try this with Pork too. I can't believe there was only 1 rating when i found this. If you have anymore great recipes KITTENCAL I'm sure they will be yummy too!!!! we have one piece left becuase my son doesn't like barbecue glaze anything, so there might be a riot over who gets the last piece tonight for a before bedtime snack.