Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is always on the table at my DH's family gatherings. I'm not a big fan of "fruitcakes", but this is moist and delicious.
- 1 lb butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 lb candied pineapple
- 1 lb candied cherry
- 4 cups pecan pieces
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Sift together 3 cups flour with salt and baking powder. Gradually add to butter mixture.
- Mix remaining flour with the fruits and pecans and stir into batter.
- Add vanilla and pour into a greased and floured tube pan.
- Bake for 3 hours, remove from oven.
- While cake is still warm, combine sauce ingredients and pour over warm cake.
- Let cake cool completely before serving.