Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This is a spicy, tangy relish that goes great with pot roast, roast pork, just about any meat. It was given to me by a co-worker years ago.
- 1 lemon, seeded & chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 cups green tomatoes, peeled & chopped
- 2 1⁄4 cups brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
- 3 ounces candied ginger, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 2 red peppers, seeded & chopped
- Combine all in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the tomatoes a tender.
- Time will vary due to the firmness of the tomatoes.
- Should take about 1 hour.
- Pack into hot, sterile jars and seal.
- Let cool completely (I have never found it necessary to use boiling water bath, but feel free to if you feel safe--10 minutes should do it for pint and 6 oz jars).
- If apples are plentiful, they can replace the tomatoes--just as good that way.
Flavor is superb! I recommend using less vinegar, though. I like my chutney thicker.
Loved it! Green tomatoes are the bomb! I reduced the amount of raisins, and increased the "hot" by using prepared red pepper-garlic mix. It was also a very "pretty" canned product. Thanks, Bloomers.