Green Tomato, Pineapple, Red Pepper Relish/Chutney
photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
8 1/2 pint jars
- 8 cups diced organic green tomatoes
- 20 ounces crushed pineapple
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cup cider vinegar, 5%
- 4 cups organic sugar
- 1 tablespoon pickling salt
- 2 tablespoons finely minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon fresh turmeric, root
- 1 lime (zest and juice about a 1/4 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1⁄3 cup diced onion
- 1 lemongrass, stalk (rough outer leaves removed smashed and sliced)
- 1 kaffir lime leaf, sliced (Makrut lime leaves)
- 2 red jalapenos, minced Leave seeds if more heat is desired
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, minced (basil and or parsley can be used)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (The National Center for Home Food Preservation has no problem with cornstarch in canning, optional I)
- Prepare water bath and sterilize 8 ½ pint jars.
- Optional chopping: place ingredients except cornstarch in food processor in batches and pulse.
- Place all ingredients except for the herbs and cornstarch in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil and cook till reduced and thickened.
- Stirring not to burn for about 45-60 minutes. If not thick enough add cornstarch. Add fresh herbs of choice.
- Pour relish into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Wipe rims and place warm lids on jars and screw on bands. Place in water bath cover by 1-2 inches of water for 10 minutes. Let rest counter top overnight. Check for sealing, label, and store in pantry for up to 1 year.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!