Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
From: “The Essential African Cookbook” by Rosamund Grant.
- 1 cup green lentil, soaked overnight (8 oz)
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place the lentils in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 45 minutes until soft, drain, then turn into a bowl and mash lightly with a potato masher.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Chill before serving as an accompaniment to a meat or fish dish.
I made this to serve as an accompaniment to your beautiful curry recipe. This was so simple but so tasty, I didn't soak the lentils overnight but boiled them, drained them & rinsed with cold water then cooked them (stops them going grey) - I used puy lentils. You should always read the recipe through and this was no exception, I didn't have time to chill this and it was lovely warm, however I ate the leftovers cold for lunch the next day and they tasted even better, the flavours just melded together beautifully. Thanks!