Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
This recipe uses masa harina, which you can find in most grocery stores now. From Mark Bittman.
Make and share this Green Chile Tamale Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 236.59 ml masa harina
- 4.92 ml kosher salt, divided
- 1.23 ml ground red pepper
- 236.59 ml boiling water
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 226.79 g ground sirloin
- 354.88 ml onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 poblano chile, seeded and chopped
- 2.46 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 226.79 g tomatillos, chopped (about 8 small)
- 236.59 ml frozen baby lima bean
- 29.58 ml butter, melted
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 59.14 ml queso fresco, crumbled
- 29.58 ml fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 lime wedges
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Combine the masa harina, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and ground red pepper, stirring well with a whisk. Add 1 cup boiling water to masa mixture, and stir until a soft dough forms. Cover until ready to use.
- Heat a 9-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add beef to pan; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble.
- Add onion, garlic, poblano chile, remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, and black pepper to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring frequently.
- Add tomatillos and lima beans to pan, and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add butter and baking powder to masa mixture, stirring until smooth. Dollop batter over filling, and spread into an even layer.
- Cover pan with foil; bake at 400° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes or until crust is lightly browned around edges. Remove from oven; let stand 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with crumbled queso fresco and cilantro; serve with lime wedges.
This was pretty good, I wanted a bit more flavor in the meat mixture but didn't want it to taste like a taco, so I added some cumin and a ljust ittle chili powder. I also used a full pound of meat and it was still a thin pie. I left out the lima beans as neither of us like them. The topping was odd - it got sort of crispy on top but still seemed a little doughy to me - maybe that's the way it should be ? . I expected the topping to be more cornbread like. I really likeed the Queso with it. Made for ZWT 8 by one of the Wild Bunch