1/1 Photo of Green Chile Tamale Pie
1 hr 10 mins
This recipe uses masa harina, which you can find in most grocery stores now. From Mark Bittman.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup masa harina
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces ground sirloin
- 1 1/2 cups onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 poblano chile, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 8 ounces tomatillos, chopped (about 8 small)
- 1 cup frozen baby lima bean
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup queso fresco, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 lime wedges
- 1Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2Combine the masa harina, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and ground red pepper, stirring well with a whisk. Add 1 cup boiling water to masa mixture, and stir until a soft dough forms. Cover until ready to use.
- 3Heat a 9-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add beef to pan; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble.
- 4Add onion, garlic, poblano chile, remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, and black pepper to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring frequently.
- 5Add tomatillos and lima beans to pan, and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 6Add butter and baking powder to masa mixture, stirring until smooth. Dollop batter over filling, and spread into an even layer.
- 7Cover pan with foil; bake at 400° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes or until crust is lightly browned around edges. Remove from oven; let stand 3 minutes.
- 8Sprinkle with crumbled queso fresco and cilantro; serve with lime wedges.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Chile Tamale Pie
Serving Size: 1 (378 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 446.9
- Calories from Fat 152
- Total Fat 16.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 52.1 mg
- Sodium 620.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 21.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: