Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
The beans can be cooked the day before wrapped in paper towel and finished just before serving.
- 1 lb fresh green beans
- 4 cups water, salted
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, mashed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds (toasted)
- Clean and trim green beans.
- Simmer in lightly salted water until just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain and rinse in cold water to keep the color bright; set aside.
- Put remaining ingredients (except almonds) in a saucepan over medium heat and cook for two minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add green beans and almonds and stir briefly to coat.
I made these for the Epicurean Queens on this year's ZWT and they are a very nice side dish. Since I was in a rush, I used a bag of the steam in a bag frozen beans and added the topping. It worked just great and I'll be making it again.
What a nice way to do green beans! Easy too! I kinda cheated and used those Almond Accents they sell in the produce aisle, garlic flavored. They were perfect for this! Made for Las Mistico Magicos Sirenas - ZWT 5.
I have to be honest, I omitted the almonds. I know it's part of the recipe, but when I was doing them, my almonds were not toasted. And I knew DH wouldn't like almonds on the green beans. He's fussy. Instead of olive oil, I used butter to give it more flavour. And I cooked the green beans in the microwave, covered for 15 minutes. They were tender like we like them. I didn't rinse. Thanks Sage. Made for 123 hit wonders