Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is another of my mother in law's Christmas specialties that she's passed along to me. Very easy, very pretty, and can be made ahead of time. Make sure your beans and red pepper are very fresh and blemish free for the best presentation.
- 2 lbs fresh green beans, ends trimmed
- 1 quart water
- 2 small red bell peppers
- 1⁄2 cup cashews, coarsley chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Bring water to a boil and add beans.
- Cook uncovered 4-5 minutes until crisp tender.
- Drain, plunge in cold water, and drain again.
- Divide into 8 bundles.
- Slice red peppers into 1/4 inch slices.
- Wrap each bundle of beans with a red pepper slice. Secure with a toothpick if necessary, but be sure to remove them or warn your guests so they don't bite into one! (Don't ask -- ).
- Arrange on a baking sheet. This can be refrigerated overnight, if you're making them ahead.
- Cook cashews in butter, stirring until toasted and butter is lightly brown.
- Remove from heat.
- Add rind, juice, onions, and parsley. This may also be refrigerated overnight, covered.
- Remove beans and butter mixture 30 minutes before serving. Warm butter if necessary.
- Spoon butter mixture over beans.
- Cover and bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
- Spoon drippings over beans and serve.
Very, very nice presentation, & a great tasting dish of veggies! Was very pleased with the combo of beans, cashews & lemon ~ A big hit all around! Definitely want to keep this for the winter holidays next year! Thanks for sharing! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe cooking game]