Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Food & Wine, May 2006.
- 6 cups vegetable stock or 6 cups low-sodium broth
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb arborio rice (2 cups)
- 1 large zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch dice (10 ounces)
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄2 lb arugula, large stems discarded, leaves coarsely chopped
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, bring 5 cups of the vegetable stock to a simmer.
- In another medium saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- Add the onion to the oil and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add 1 cup of the hot stock and cook, stirring, until the stock is absorbed.
- Continue adding the hot stock, 1 cup at a time and stirring occasionally until it is completely absorbed before adding more.
- Continue cooking until the rice is al dente and the liquid is thickened, about 20 minutes total.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add the zucchini and scallions and cook over moderately high heat until just tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add the peas and arugula and cook until the arugula is wilted, about 1 minute.
- Add the remaining 1 cup of vegetable stock, season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir the vegetables and their liquid into the risotto and cook until the rice is creamy, about 1 minute.
- Season the risotto with salt and pepper. Spoon the risotto into bowls and serve with Parmesan cheese if desired.