Recipe by glitter
This is a tasty meat and vegetables with just the right spices to make it a flavorful dish. I got this from the ladies of the Greek Orthodox Church. They always have something special cooking in the kitchen.
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
All I can say is wow, wow.... oh, and did I say wow!!!....Glitz, as all of your recipes, this is one big time winner you got girl! I made this tonight for dinner for DH and myself, with the zucchini from my overstocked garden. Although I think my zucchini was more than 4 inches long, I had just enough filling for them. I already had the cooked beef in the freezer, so that was a big time saver. I made the recipe as stated, and used feta cheese on four, and Parm cheese on the other four. This was certainly a filling meal, one of the best zucchini recipes I have ever made, and I thank you so much for posting another winner Glitter. I will make this again, we just loved them!. Great way to use up zuchinni from the garden!...Kitten:)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 -2 minced garlic clove
- 3⁄4 lb ground beef, mixed is good too (your preference)
- 1⁄4 cup dry wine (red or white)
- 1 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 8 zucchini, approximately 4 inches in length
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup grated feta or 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Slightly brown the meat, drain if needed.
- Add the seasonings.
- Cook onions and the garlic in the olive oil.
- Add wine and tomato then cook your mixture 30 minute.
- Let it cool slightly, then quickly stir in the egg whites and bread crumbs.
- Set aside while preparing the zucchini.
- Trim both ends of the zucchini and slice in halves lengthwise.
- Parboil them for 3 minutes in salted water.
- Carefully, remove onto paper towels and drain.
- Place into an oiled, flat roasting pan.
- Scoop out the centers discarding the pulp.
- Spoon the meat filling into the shells.
- Top each with bread crumbs, moistened with oil or butter.
- Sprinkle with the grated cheese over all.
- Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes or until crumbs are golden and the zucchini are very tender.