Recipe by dicentra
These are good! Very filling, but not heavy. They would make great “party food” or a potluck dish. It is very important to use dampened hands when making the balls. Cut everything in tiny pieces.
- 2 lbs fresh spinach (frozen would work)
- 1 cup chopped scallion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs (I bet wheat germ would be good too)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, steam spinach. Chop and set aside. Preheat oven to 350. Sauté the scallions in oil until just softened.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine spinach, scallions, rice, dill and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir well, mashing the rice against the sides of the bowl until the mixture holds together.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. With Dampened hands, pack a heaping ¼ cup of the rice mixture into a ball. Roll the ball in the bread crumbs and place on the baking sheet. Repeat the process until all of the rice mixture is used up.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the balls are heated through and crisp on the outside.