1/2 Photos of Greek Pita Bread
2 hrs 30 mins
** Poppy **'s Note:
This recipe for Greek pita bread can be used for 'souvlaki' and 'gyros' sandwiches, Found on a greek website. 2 hours includes rising time
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine the yeast and sugar in a small bowl, add 1/2 cup of the warm water and let it stand for 10 minutes to proof and ferment it.
- 2Dissolve the salt in the remaining warm water.
- 3Put the flour in a large mixing bowl, making a well in the middle and put the dissolved yeast and salt water into it.
- 4With your hands, blend it into a dough.
- 5You may need a bit more or less water depending on your flour.
- 6Knead the dough in the bowl with your fists for 10-15 minutes or until it is smooth.
- 7Pour the oil over the dough and knead it again until the oil is absorbed.
- 8Cover the dough in the bowl with a towel and set it in a draft free area to rise to double it's bulk (1-2 hours), then punch it down and knead it again for a few minutes.
- 9Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- 10Cut pieces of dough, egg size or larger, depending on the size of the pita desired, shape them into balls with your hands and roll them out over a lightly floured board or pastry cloth to 1/4 inch thickness.
- 11Set 2 or 3 pites on a lightly oiled cookies sheet and bake them on the lower rack 2 to 3 minutes each side.
- 12Pitas should be white and soft.
- 13Wrap the baked pitas in a clean towel until they are cool, then store them in plastic bags to prevent them from drying out.
- 14When you are ready to use them, heat a bit of oil in a shallow skillet and fry them a minute or so on each side, or until golden brown.
- 15Use them immediately, because they get hard when they dry out.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Pita Bread
Serving Size: 1 (150 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 335.2
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 779.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 9.0 g