Recipe by breezermom
The warm side dish delivers strong feta and olive flavors while red pepper flakes add a little spice. Sometimes I add some diced red bell pepper to add color, but I really prefer it without the red bell pepper. The original idea for this recipe came from a recipe on AllRecipes, but I've added some things and made others optional.
Top Review by IngridH
We really enjoyed this! Easy to make, wonderful flavor, what else can you ask for? I made exactly as written, except that I increased the garlic, as I LOVE garlic. A wonderful dish, and I love that it has both the vegetable and the starch in one dish. I'll definitely be making this again! Thanks for posting.
- 3⁄4 cup orzo pasta
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1⁄3 cup Greek olive, pitted
- 1⁄4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons slivered almonds or 4 1⁄2 teaspoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, cook pasta in boiling water for 7 minutes. Add broccoli and cook 2-3 minutes longer or until pasta is tender; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the olives, feta cheese, Parmesan cheese and basil.
- In a small nonstick skillet, saute almonds and minced garlic in oil for about 1 minute. Stir in red pepper flakes and pepper; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Pour over pasta mixture; toss to coat.
- Stir in olive mixture; toss to coat.