Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
A good hearty bread that reminds me of walking by a bakery and smelling the wonderful fragrance wafting out the doors. Enjoy! From Baltic Maid.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more as needed (240 g)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (150 g)
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 cup lukewarm water (240 ml)
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil (80 ml)
- 1 cup black olives, pitted and halved
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, slightly chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest (optional)
- In a food processor, combine the flour, whole wheat flour, yeast and salt. Add the warm water and the olive oil. Process until it forms somewhat of a dough ball. (If too dry, add some more water and if too wet, add more flour but it should be okay without adding more flour or water).
- Transfer the dough into a large bowl. With floured hands, knead the dough by hand several times. Then incorporate the olives and the rosemary(and the lemon zest if using). This part is a bit messy but keep kneading. The olives and the rosemary will be eventually incorporated.
- Form the dough into a ball. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let the dough rise for up to 2 hours until it doubled in size.
- Punch the risen dough down and knead a few times. Form into a ball with the seam on the bottom. Place on a well-floured baking sheet. Sprinkle flour all over the bread loaf. Slash the top of the bread with a sharp knife or razor blade in whatever pattern you like. Cover with a towel, and let it rise again until it doubled in size.
- In the meantime preheat the oven to 425°F / 220°C When the bread has doubled in size, transfer the baking sheet into the preheated oven. Bake the bread for about 15 minutes at 425°F / 220°C Then turn down the heat to 375°F / 175°C and bake for 40 to 60 minutes until golden brown. Let it cool.
Took this delicious bread to a function but forgot to take a picture beforehand! Next time! I used a variety of olives, fresh rosemary from the garden and did add the optional lemon zest. Good alone or with a cheese and veg platter (vegs from our CSA box!), homemade romesco and une bouteille de vin blanc. Thanks for posting! Made for Veg Tag/August.