Recipe by anti_pop
This was a childhood favorite of mine. My dad used to cook this for me, and served it over egg noodles.
Top Review by nickie409
I love this recipe! Anti_Pop is my sister, so I grew up with this recipe as well and it is the BEST meatballs I have had! The lemon is a wonderful pairing! Glad my sis posted this so I can recreate our childhood dish!
- 1 (6 ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 lemon
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain artichokes and reserve marinade.
- Slice lemon.
- In a large skillet, warm 1 tbsp reserved marinade over medium heat.
- Saute onion in marinade.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites lightly with fork.
- Add onions, breadcrumbs, milk, salt, pepper, oregano, eggs, mint and ground beef. Mix well.
- Shape into meatballs. Roll each meatball in flour.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, saute meatballs in the remaining artichoke marinade.
- Remove meatballs as they brown.
- Add water and bouillon cubes to skillet. Mash bouillon cubes into water. Stir until smooth and thick.
- Stir in lemon juice and lemon slices. Return meatballs to pan. Cover and cook over low heat about 10 minutes.
- Add artichoke hearts. Cook 2 more minutes.
- Remove meatballs and artichokes to serving platter, leaving sauce in pan.
- Beat egg yolks. Stir 1 tbsp sauce in pan into yolks (to temper) and combine with remaining sauce.
- Serve over meatballs.