Recipe by JanetB-KY
This is being posted for Zaar World Tour 2006
Top Review by Bill L
I made a version of this. I used only 1 lb. of lamb. Feta instead of parmesan, 1 cup cottage cheese, 1 cup chopped onion and 2 cloves garlic pressed, juice of half a lemon and lemon pepper. I could not find phyllo so I used 9" pie crust. Spice to taste. Tomato,cinnamon and egg the same. Didn't need that much butter without phyllo. Butter cooking spray worked fine. With the pie crust it backed for 1 hour at 350. In the future I will add 1- 8 oz. package chopped spinach. Its vary meaty and could use more veggies.
- 1 lb lean ground chuck
- 1 lb lean ground lamb
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano, crushed
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 12 sheets phyllo pastry
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, saute ground meat in olive oil with onions until browned; season with salt, oregano and pepper; add tomato sauce & cinnamon.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs and stir in Parmesan cheese; when ground meat has cooled, fold in the eggs and cheese mixture.
- Butter a 9x13 inch baking pan; arrange six sheets of Phyllo pastry on bottom of pan, buttering each sheet with the melted butter.
- Spread a layer of cooled meat mixture evenly on Phyllo & cover with remaining six phyllo sheets, brushing each with melted butter.
- Trim edges of Phyllo to fit pan with a sharp knife; slice through top of pastry to form diamond shapes.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven until pastry is golden crisp, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- May be served hot or cold.