Greek Freighter Meat Pie
Taken from The Complete Greek Cookbook. According to the author, Theresa Yianilos, you will most likely be served this meat pie on any Greek ship. Note: if using raw meat, use 1 lb and follow directions for raw meat - the ingredients list wouldn't accept both cooked and raw!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 2 tablespoons butter (or olive oil or margerine)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups meat (cooked and chopped beef, lamb, veal or pork)
- 1 cup rice (or diced potatoes)
- 1 teaspoon spearmint, dried and crumbled
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup feta cheese (or cottage cheese)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts or 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1⁄2 lb phyllo dough
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Heat oil and fry onions until soft.
- If using raw meat and potatoes, brown for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of hot water (2 cups water if using rice).
- Add rice, herbs and seasonings.
- Cover and cook 20 min until meat is cooked and potatoes or rice are soft.
- Remove from heat.
- Mix in cheese, egg and nuts (and cooked meat if you didn't use raw meat).
- Melt butter and oil in small pot.
- Oil a square or rectangular baking pan.
- Lay half of the sheets of filo, oiling lightly between each sheet.
- Spread on meat filling.
- Lay remaining filo sheets, oiling between sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 1 hour.