Recipe by Mille®
Posted by request - I have not made these personally.
Top Review by jkosmas
I am greek and this recipe is spot on except for one suggestion. When we make these for our festival we simmer the honey in a saucepan next to the pot we fry the dough in. When the dough is ready to come out of the fryer, we plop the browned loukamades into the simmering honey and let them soak for about 3-5 minutes. Then we remove them with a slotted spoon to a plate and dust with the cinnamon.Doing this gets you a crispy outside and a burst of honey when bitten.You will thank me! By the way, must be eaten right away or risk getting soggy!
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 4 fluid ounces water, 105 to 115 f
- 8 fluid ounces warm milk, 105 to 115 f
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3 cups flour, sifted
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 8 fluid ounces honey, to taste
- ground cinnamon, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl sprinkle yeast over the warm water and let stand to soften (about 5 minutes).
- Meanwhile, pour milk into a large bowl and add sugar and salt.
- Stir in yeast mixture and eggs; add butter and beat well.
- Slowly add 3 cups flour, beating continuously until batter is smooth, sticky, and thick.
- Add more flour as needed to arrive at correct consistency.
- Cover bowl with a tea towel and let dough rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk (2 to 3 hours).
- In a medium saucepan pour oil to a depth of 3 or 4 inches and heat to 360 degrees.
- While oil is heating, pour some honey into a small saucepan and place over very low heat to warm.
- Stir batter well.
- Drop batter from a tablespoon into hot oil and cook, turning spoonfuls in oil, until batter puffs and is golden brown on all sides (about 2 minutes).
- Remove with a slotted utensil to paper towels to drain briefly, then arrange a layer of the puffs on a platter.
- Drizzle with warm honey, dust with cinnamon, and top with a second layer of puffs.
- Continue in this manner until all the puffs are layered and dressed.
- Serve at once.