Recipe by PaulaG
This was printed in our local paper several months ago. It is also one of those I clipped to make and then misplaced. It sounds so wonderful. I know if I post it, I want loose it.
Top Review by WiGal
Euyeuoto! Delicious!! Seasonings are right on. I used ground lamb instead of shoulder meat. Really canâ€™t tell that the eggplant is there. Next time would drain the canned tomatoes first. This is huge so froze rest. I would probably omit the yogurt topping next time or sprinkle on a bit of cheese. Served with carrots sprinkled with cinnamon, recipe#428681, and for dessert recipe#173165. Thank you Paula for sharing. Made for the Unrulies Under the Influence during ZWT6.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces eggplants, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 10 ounces lamb shoulder, well-trimmed, diced
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup of fresh mint, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces orzo pasta
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large egg whites
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic; cook stirring frequently until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the eggplant and water; cook stirring frequently until eggplant is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cubed lamb and cook until longer pink, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, 1/2 cup of mint, 1/2 cup of dill, salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook 20 minutes or until lamb is tender.
- While the lamb mixture is cooking, cook orzo according to package directions, drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, flour and egg whites.
- Stir the drained orzo into lamb mixture, spoon mixture into an 11 x 7 inch baking dish.
- Cover and bake 10 minutes; uncover spoon yogurt mixture on top, return to oven and bake until casserole is bubbly, about 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup mint and 1/4 cup dill on top of dish and serve.