Recipe by Sackville
This is a colourful dish that goes well with a quiche or as part of a potluck supper.
- 225 g haricot beans (such as cannellini)
- 1 1⁄8 liters water, for soaking
- 1 1⁄8 liters water, for boiling
- 75 ml olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 bunch spring onion, chopped
- 1 red peppers or 1 green pepper, de-seeded and diced
- 1 slice lemon
- black olives
- 1 hard-boiled egg, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the beans overnight.
- Next day, drain and rinse them, then bring to the boil in fresh water.
- Boil fast for 10 minutes, skimming off any scum which forms on the surface.
- Reduce the heat and simmer in a covered pan for about 30 minutes, then drain and allow to cool.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and fry the beans with herbs gently for 10 minutes.
- Add enough water to cover the beans by one inch and stir in the tomato purée.
- Simmer gently, uncovered for 45 minutes.
- The liquid will have reduced to leave a thick tomato covering on the beans.
- Let this cool, then season well and add the lemon juice.
- Add the salad vegetables and transfer to an attractive serving dish and garnish with slices of lemon, olive and the egg.