Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another favorite from "Culinary Journey to the Mediterranean" cookbook. Very flavorful rice dish. The feta melts and makes it nice and moist.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 (13 3/4 ounce) can chicken broth or 1 (13 3/4 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon freshly grated pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano or 2 teaspoons of fresh mint
- Heat oil in medium saucepan. Add onion; cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes or until tender. Add rice; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in broth and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover. Simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- While rice is cooking, mix pepper in with the feta cheese.
- Stir cheese and oregano into the rice. Garnish with fresh herbs, if desired.
I thought this was very good. The oregano and feta lend a subtle flavor that I really enjoyed. Thanks for sharing!