Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
This stew has become a favorite. Has bold flavors and makes a filling lunch or dinner. Add salad, fresh bread and wine to complete the meal. Adapted from Moosewood.
Top Review by magpie diner
I always enjoy Moosewood recipes and this was no exception. It's a simple stew that has some nice flavours, albeit subtle ones. I think using a good veg stock is essential. The only thing I did differently was to add a few bay leaves, and more oregano, lemon & dill. I think this is one of those stews that would really benefit from long simmering, I bet it will be fantastic tomorrow. A few changes I'd be tempted to make next time would be to sautee the onion & garlic in more olive oil (it's a lot of onion after al) and to use only 2 cups of broth instead of 3. Thanks ratherbeswimmin', I do like this and it makes a huge pot full!
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 cups vegetable broth or 3 cups water
- 1 cup green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups chopped red bell peppers (I use 1 cup of each) or 2 cups green bell peppers (I use 1 cup of each)
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped pitted kalamata olive
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- salt and pepper
- grated feta cheese, garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the cubed eggplant in a colander; sprinkle with salt; cover colander with a plate.
- Put colander in a bowl or in the sink and let the eggplant drain 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse well, then set aside to drain.
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot.
- Add in onions and garlic; cook over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the eggplant and saute 5 minutes, stir frequently.
- Add the potatoes, oregano, red pepper flakes, and water;stir to combine, then simmer 5 minutes.
- Add green beans, bell peppers, tomatoes, and wine.
- Cover and simmer 15-20-30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add olives, parsley, lemon juice, capers, and dill; stir to combine.
- Let heat through; adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into individual bowls.
- Top with a little feta cheese, if desired.