Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
As the title suggests, this recipe has been in the family for over 100 years! Gumdrop Cake is like a light fruit cake that kids love. It makes a great gift.
- 1 lb sultana raisin (approx. 3 cups)
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 lb gumdrop, cut into small pieces (NO BLACK)
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Boil the raisins for 5 minutes, strain & cool.
- In a large bowl cream butter & sugar. Add well beaten eggs.
- Add 1 cup flour then applesauce & raisins, mix.
- Add the rest of the flour (2 cups), baking powder, salt & gumdrops, mix.
- Bake for 2 1/2 hours @ 300F in pan(s) double lined with foil (I recommend having a pan of water on the bottom shelf of the oven while cooking).
- DO NOT cut for at least 7 - 10 days.