Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
I always remember my great-gramdma making this cake, so when I was given a 3-foot long zucchini by my boyfriend's parents, I called my mom for the recipe. It put a small dent in that monster gourd! This was my first attempt at a cake from scratch and it didn't collapse, so it can't be that tough if I did it.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened (or margarine)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 2 cups zucchini, grated
- 1⁄4 cup chocolate chips (or more)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cream together butter, oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Stir lemon juice into milk to make sour milk.
- Stir sour milk into creamed mixture.
- Sift baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, flour and cocoa THREE times.
- Gradually stir dry ingredients into wet mixture until completely combined, then stir in zucchini.
- Pour batter into a greased 9x13 cake pan and sprinkle top with chocolate chips.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
This cake is absolutely delicious! It?s moist, rich in flavours, with a perfect balance between the spices, the courgette and the sweet chocolate, and it?s one of your 5 a day! Thank you :)
Easy to do and yummy! I used only 3/4 cup sugar. Sweet enough for my taste. And I did exactly the same for the recipe. And after 40 minutes it was ready. And the smell was amazing :) Thanks Tasha Leah.
This was good but I added in more cocoa powder, I used frozen well drained zucchini and increased the cinnamon, we enjoyed this, thanks for sharing Tasha!...Kitten:)