I always remember my great-gramdma making this cake, so when I was given a 3-foot long zucchini by my boyfriend's parents, I called my mom for the recipe. It put a small dent in that monster gourd! This was my first attempt at a cake from scratch and it didn't collapse, so it can't be that tough if I did it.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened (or margarine)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 2 cups zucchini, grated
- 1⁄4 cup chocolate chips (or more)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cream together butter, oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Stir lemon juice into milk to make sour milk.
- Stir sour milk into creamed mixture.
- Sift baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, flour and cocoa THREE times.
- Gradually stir dry ingredients into wet mixture until completely combined, then stir in zucchini.
- Pour batter into a greased 9x13 cake pan and sprinkle top with chocolate chips.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.