Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
Hot,fluffy and soft
- 4 1⁄2-5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (1 tablespoon) package active dry yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine or 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- In a large bowl stir together 2 cups of the flour and the yeast.
- In a small saucepan heat and stir milk, sugar, butter, and salt just until warm (120 degrees) and butter almost melts; add to flour mixture along with eggs.
- Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 sec, scraping sides of bowl constantly.
- Beat on high speed 3 minute. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total).
- Shape dough into a ball.
- Place in a greased bowl, turn once.
- Cover, let rise in a warm place until double 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Divide dough in half.
- Cover, let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, depending on what shape of roll you want to make, lightly grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan, baking sheets.
- Shape the dough into 24 balls or desired rolls and place in prepared baking pan sheets.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake for 15 min or until golden.
- Immediately remove rolls from pans.
- Cool on wire racks.