Recipe by kiwidutch
My Grandmother's sister's recipe... it's at least 70 years old. I usually hate pickle but I love this one :) Excellent use for all the home grown green tomatoes that never go red. Great on crackers w/cheese, in a cold meat sandwich etc. It does make a LOT though... but you shouldn't have a problem giving it as gifts tc.. Our family and friends are always coming back for more:) This makes at least 19 LARGE jars.. so I'd recommend cutting the recipe down to 1/4 if you want to make this the first time..)
- 2 3⁄4 kg onions (4.4 lb)
- 1 large cauliflower
- green tomato
- runner beans
- 2 cucumbers
- 2 1⁄3 kg sugar (4.3 lb)
- 3 1⁄2 bottles of table vinegar (not Draught vinegar, 3 x 34 oz bottles)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons mustard
- 28 1⁄2 g turmeric (1 oz)
- 2 tablespoons curry
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut up vegetables, add the salt, cover with cold water and leave to stand overnight.
- Pour off the liquid next morning, put vegetables in to big pan (or several as necessary) and cover with vinegar.
- Add sugar and cook until soft.
- Mix the flour, mustard, turmeric, curry and mix to a smooth paste with some cold vinegar.
- Remove main mixture from heat and add paste in stages VERY carefully to the main mixture (too much too quick and it will become lumpy) Stir well and boil for 5 minutes.
- Bottle in screw-top jars.
- Refrigerated, this stuff keeps for months and months.
- Note: This makes at least 19 large jars, so I'd highly recommend doing a 1/2 or 1/4 recipe first!